There are procedures available to us that can improve the way we look and feel about ourselves, whether our appearance is changing as we age, or we have a certain insecurity that is affecting our self-esteem. One of the most popular procedures is teeth whitening. If you’re hoping to create a winning smile, you could head to your dentist London for advice, and to get your procedure underway, or you could explore some of the alternative whitening products on the market – but do they really work? Read on to find out more!
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a type of cosmetic procedure that can be carried out by your dentist, or with the help of other products like toothpaste and at-home whitening kits. Teeth whitening is popular with those of us that want to create a whiter smile, boost our confidence, and correct any discolouration of the teeth that may have happened over time, because of ageing, or due to the foods that we eat. Depending on the product or procedure that you choose, you may be able to achieve a smile up to several shades whiter than your current teeth – to give your smile a new lease of life!
Types of teeth whitening
If you think that teeth whitening will improve the look of your smile and is something you would like to explore, you’ll need to know more about the types of teeth whitening that you could choose from – whether that’s professional procedures or at-home products.
- Custom Home Teeth Whitening: This is one of the most popular products that can be used to whiten teeth and is available from your dentist so you can be sure that it is safe to use. Your dentist will take a mould of your teeth and make a customised tray that can be filled with whitening gel to wear at home.
- In-house Teeth Whitening: This is a procedure that also takes place at your dentist. It can be used for an instant result and can brighten your smile to your preferred shade in an hour. If you check out this dentist in Syracuse NY, this is the option that they recommend because it’s the safest and most effective.
- Toothpaste: When trying to achieve your dream smile, you may be wondering whether toothpaste can really offer you what you’re looking for, but there is toothpaste on the market that can offer less-abrasive whitening and remove stains – they are also affordable.
- Whitening strips: There are also whitening strips that you can buy to keep your smile looking bright. Although they may be more affordable than in-house or custom teeth whitening, it is essential that you take care when it comes to strips, so that they do not cause more harm than good. Make sure they are from a reputable brand or dentist. If you check out this dentist in Syracuse NY, this is the option that they recommend because it’s the safest and most effective
What are the benefits?
The likelihood is that if you are thinking about whitening your teeth, you’re looking for a way to improve your smile. Choosing one of the above products or procedures comes with a range of benefits such as getting rid of stains that may be making you feel self-conscious. They can also help to improve your overall self-esteem – you won’t have to hide your smile! Whitening products can help to reduce bacteria within the mouth, so that you will be less prone to tooth decay and infection, so not only can whitening your teeth improve the way your smile looks but the general health of your mouth too.
Dental whitening procedures: Do they work?
If you are looking to improve the look of surface stains, whether they’ve been brought on by age or food and drink, approved dental treatments are likely to work best. The strength and type of chemical concentration tend to be the most effective and safest ways of whitening your teeth. Whitening happens with these products by breaking up molecules that cause pigmentation and discolouration of the surface of the tooth, which is then removed for a whiter smile. Generally, these products work best – depending on how discoloured your teeth are – and you can trust the process knowing that it has been recommended by a dental professional.
Teeth whitening products: Do they work?
Unfortunately, teeth whitening procedures that take place either in the dentist’s chair or that are supplied by your dentist to be used at home can be pricey, and if you find that you can’t afford them, an alternative that you can buy on the high street may seem beneficial. Teeth whitening toothpaste is widely available to buy – and whilst more expensive than your average toothpaste, it still works out at a fraction of the cost of various procedures. This kind of toothpaste works well to remove minor surface stains, so using it every day will not only keep your mouth healthy but can result in a noticeably whiter smile. It is worth noting that it does not reach into the enamel as deep as professional whitening does.
Is there any risk?
If you are thinking about using toothpaste to whiten your teeth, you won’t have to worry about any side effects, as this is a less abrasive way of whitening your smile. If you are choosing to have your teeth whitened using at-home moulds and gel, there are a few minor side effects that you should be aware of.
- Sensitivity – This is one of the most common issues that those of us that choose to go ahead with teeth whitening face, but it should only be a mild sensation, you can use desensitising toothpaste or mouthwash to reduce these symptoms.
- Irritation – You may suffer from this in your gums, lips, or cheeks. This generally only happens if the gel that you are using for whitening touches these areas. This is not harmful and will ease quickly.
- Fillings – When you whiten your teeth, your existing fillings, or restorations will not be whitened like the rest of your teeth. You should bare this in mind and think about discussing new fillings if the colour is bothering you. With tooth coloured fillings, more of the natural tooth structure is preserved as opposed to silver fillings.